McWhinney Honored For Its Focus And Commitment On DEI Initiatives
March 1, 2023 Posted In
McWhinney, a Colorado-based and national real estate investment, development and management firm with expertise in commercial, multifamily, hospitality, residential and mixed-use assets, was recognized for its focus on advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
NAIOP Colorado Awards of Achievement honored McWhinney’s DEI Committee as a winner for their advancement and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion efforts. The award was made at the 36th Annual Awards of Achievement celebration, honoring the “Best of the Best” in Colorado’s Real Estate Industry.
McWhinney’s DEI Committee, which was formed in 2020 and is comprised of 17 associates from both the Denver and Loveland offices who alongside the organization, are committed to continuing to build a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. Efforts have included generous donations and partnerships with local organizations and universities, internal diversity trainings, employee culture engagement events, as well as community engagement initiatives.
To date, McWhinney continues to focus and expand on these areas:
- Committed to the NAIOP Project Destined Program – serving as a judge, mentor, coach to students. In addition, co-sponsored four students during the 2022 program.
- Donated $10,000 to the University of Colorado-Boulder’s (CU) Changing the Face of Real Estate Scholarship Fund, which provides scholarships for historically underrepresented students pursuing a career in real estate.
- Enlisted a CU program sponsored student to serve as a McWhinney intern.
- Hosted and partnered with other students from Metro State University, University of Colorado-Denver and Boulder, in addition to Colorado State University to expose student groups to real estate projects to learn, network, and grow.
- Hosted the CU FaM Student Group, the First-Generation and Multicultural Program through the CU Business School, for tours and networking, in addition to donating bags of business clothes to their community closet to benefit students seeking work or interview clothing.
- Honored Juneteenth which is now a company-wide holiday for associates to celebrate.
- Trained executive members on DEI, with plans to roll out the training to the entire company to expand associate learning.
- Supported Disability Pride Month and participated in the local Denver Pride 5K.
- Committed to the City Builder Fellowship Program where eight students will join and learn with McWhinney every Friday during March 2023.
- Supported the DU and RAH (Ready for American Hospitality) Program, a Fritz Knoebel partnership with the African Community Center to provide refugee students with hospitality experience.
- Committed to providing an all-inclusive work environment where associates of all backgrounds and color feel welcome and accepted.
“This award is an honor for our company and for all of our associates who have worked hard to honor diversity and ensure our offices provide inclusive workplaces,” said Chad McWhinney, CEO, chairman, and co-founder at McWhinney. “Our DEI commitment of being united is a core business principle, and this recognition is extremely meaningful as we continue to work alongside community partners to help remove barriers of business and access for all, especially within the real estate industry.”
Back to News