DENVER, COLO. — Sept. 27, 2017 — McWHINNEY – a Colorado-based premier real estate investor and developer with expertise in mixed-use, commercial and multi-family assets – is greatly expanding its hospitality portfolio with three new hotel properties opening this year, along with the acquisition of a 123-room lodging property near Denver International Airport and another hotel breaking ground at Centerra in Northern Colorado.
Based in Denver and Loveland, Colorado, McWHINNEY has developed more than 6,000 acres and 6.5 million square feet of property across the Rocky Mountain region and West Coast.
From extended-stay to luxurious independent hotels, new McWHINNEY hospitality projects for 2017 include:
- Hyatt House Denver Airport Hotel – Denver International Airport
o In May, McWHINNEY acquired the 123-room hotel that features contemporary and spacious guest rooms with pillow-top Hyatt Grand Beds and fully equipped kitchens. Sage Hospitality, Inc. will manage the hotel.
- The Maven Hotel at Dairy Block – Denver, Colorado
o The 172-room independent Maven Hotel opened in March at Dairy Block, a mixed-used redevelopment of a prominent downtown Denver block by McWHINNEY, Grand American Inc. and Sage Hospitality.
- The AC Hotel Portland – Portland, Oregon
o Opened in early 2017, McWHINNEY and Sage Hospitality co-developed a 13-story Marriott-branded hotel in the heart of downtown Portland that features 204 contemporary guest rooms.
- The Elizabeth Hotel – Autograph Collection by Marriott – Fort Collins, Colorado
o McWHINNEY is also partnering with Sage Hospitality to develop and operate The Elizabeth Hotel in Fort Collins, which will open this November with 164 modern hotel rooms.
- Courtyard by Marriott at Centerra – Loveland, Colorado
o McWHINNEY has partnered with Stonebridge Companies to build a new 101-room Courtyard by Marriott at Centerra, McWHINNEY’s award-winning master-planned community located in the heart of Northern Colorado in Loveland. Breaking ground this month, the hotel will open Winter 2018.
McWHINNEY is currently finalizing plans for several new hotel projects in Boston, Denver, Omaha, San Francisco and Irvine, California.
McWHINNEY’s existing hospitality portfolio includes a wide variety of lodging properties in the Western United States:
- As a member of the Union Station Alliance, McWHINNEY helped oversee the $54 million redevelopment of Denver Union Station in 2014, including the creation of the award-winning 112-room Crawford Hotel with Sage Hospitality. Denver’s Union Station was recognized as a winner of Urban Land Institute’s Global Awards for Excellence.
- In Northern Colorado, McWHINNEY developed three hotels at Centerra through a joint venture with Stonebridge Companies – a Residence Inn, a Fairfield Inn & Suites and a Hampton Inn & Suites, all conveniently located close to the Loveland-Fort Collins Municipal Airport and Rocky Mountain National Park and a 45-minute drive to Denver International Airport. Guests enjoy hotel services as well as more than 80 nearby shops, 27 restaurants and four miles of lakeside trails.
- In southern California, McWHINNEY worked with the City of Garden Grove and Stonebridge to redevelop a 28-acre site into a vibrant mixed-use center near Disneyland that is home to a Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites and a Homewood Suites. The development also features four high-quality restaurants, creating a great experience and some of the highest occupancy rates and sales in the area.
- McWHINNEY also developed the Great Wolf Lodge Garden Grove, California, a 2-acre indoor water park resort and conference center in partnership with Great Wolf that opened in 2016. Located walking distance from Disneyland, the resort features 603 hotel rooms, a three-acre indoor water park, over 20,000 square feet of conference space and 18,000 square-feet of premier retail and dining outlets.
Founded in 1991, McWHINNEY employs 125 people. The company is committed to launching new lifestyle communities, developing vibrant mixed-use places and crafting new retail concepts for residents, employees and visitors to connect with and enjoy. For more information, please visit www.mcwhinney.com.